For those who may be unfamiliar, the race consist of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run. Back to Back. Without breaks. Serious business. I am so very honored to say that I am married to an Ironman.
While waiting and cheering (they race nonstop from 7 am to as late as midnight) I noticed an amazing opportunity for a specific group: single women.
If I were single, I would strongly consider volunteering for an Ironman competition. Even if you have to travel. Even if it costs you money. Seriously. Here are some reasons why:
1) Men outnumber women 3 to 1
2) There is a very strong spiritual component to this type of race. Many people make it obvious (e.g.The International Christian Triathlon Network) but you can see/hear/feel it CLEARLY. This is certainly an example of “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
3)People are happy(really happy)and sometimes flirty.:) Guards are down; you get to see the spirit.
4) The races take places in beautiful places around the world. My hubby has his eye on Hawaii. 🙂
5)These are driven and determined men. They train hard for upwards of a year which leaves very little time for bad habits.
6)They take their health seriously. To compete on this level you are very in-tuned to your body. From your heart rate to your the way you digest your food, you are fully aware.
7)Most of these men are in AMAZING shape. Saw some beautiful bodies here!
8) This is not a poor man’s sport. Equipment alone set some back thousands. This is not an exaggeration.
9)These men are typically gainfully employed with flexible schedules. The training requires it.
10) You’ll meet tons of really cool single ladies that have already figured the above out!
- Ironman Florida returns Saturday (newsherald.com)
- 2012 Ironman World Championship: NBC showing triathlon from Kona (sbnation.com)
- THE WINNERS CIRCLE – Congratulations to Andy on setting a PR at the Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountain Race! (fusionfitnessandperformance.com)